Ask the Center
Have a question about running your 501(c)(3) organization? Our staff members are here to help! Our Nonprofit HelpDesk information and referral service answers more than 2,000 diverse phone and e-mail inquiries a year on compliance, management and policy questions on such topics as:
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Board governance
- Fundraising resources & regulations
- Insurance needs
- IRS and State of NJ regulations
- Human resource policies
- Nonprofit sector trends
- Public policy issues
- Risk management
- And many more!
Our staff experts have decades of experience in non-profit management, corporate philanthropy, public policy and many other areas. If your question requires more specialized expertise or an in-depth response, we can provide additional leads, suggestions or referrals to the most appropriate resources to meet your needs. We can also provide consulting, coaching or customized training on a variety of topics – contact us for more information.
To Submit a Question:
Email is best!
Current Members: to receive expedited service and more in-depth assistance, put “Center Member Help Desk – [your organization name]” in the subject line and send your question to email@example.com
Non-Members: Put “HELP DESK” and your organization’s name (if any) in the subject line and include your name, organization name & location, and contact information (phone and email) along with your specific question(s) so that we can respond appropriately to your needs. Depending on the Center’s work load, it may take us a few days to provide an in depth and precise response.
Not a member? Center Members receive expedited service and more in-depth assistance. Consider joining!
To Search for Information:
You will find a wealth of information on nonprofit practices, regulations and issues on this website. Use the search window at the top of this page, or visit the Advocacy; Legal & Management; and Links sections for articles or links to government, research, technical assistance and other resources.
Interested in starting a new nonprofit?
- The Center does not provide direct legal assistance for startup organizations. However, we do offer a wide array of comprehensive resources as you plan your next steps.
- BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER: go to our Web page Forming a Nonprofit. Carefully review the information in that section, and download and read our FREE booklet, “Thinking of Forming a Nonprofit?” Sustaining a successful nonprofit is a challenging undertaking under the best of circumstances, and there are many alternatives that could meet your needs.
- Go to the Links section Selected “First Stop” Web Resources to look up information on types of nonprofits, Governance, Business Planning, Fund Raising, Financial Management, etc.
- View Pro Bono Partnership’s online on-demand Webinar “Starting a Nonprofit: Upsides, Downsides and Alternatives”
The New Jersey Center for Nonprofits is not a government agency, but a private non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization. We can provide guidance and information about a wide array of topics, but we do not provide formal legal advice. For legal advice pertaining to your specific circumstances, always consult a knowledgeable attorney.