Website Clean Ocean Action
Do you have a passion for the ocean?
How about working for a dynamic, passion-driven, ocean protection nonprofit organization?
Clean Ocean Action’s organizational culture is hard-working, friendly and fun.
Clean Ocean Action (COA) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to protecting marine water quality in the New York/New Jersey region. COA identifies sources of pollution and takes actions to stop them using research, education, and citizen action. For more information about COA visit www.cleanoceanaction.org.
The Nonprofit Bookkeeper, will be responsible for maintaining accurate financial records for COA, managing accounts payable, assisting with accounts receivable, assisting with financial planning and budgeting, and collaborating with COA’s accountant when needed. The Nonprofit Bookkeeper reports to the Operations Director and the Executive Director, and collaborates with the Development Director and Administrative Coordinator.
This position is part time and immediately available. COA is seeking quick fulfillment. The position is based at the Long Branch, NJ, office, which is two short blocks from the beach and adjacent to a county park.
· Maintain accurate financial accrual-basis records using QuickBooks software
· Manage accounts payable
· Assist with income and accounts receivable
· Reconcile bank and credit card statements
· Prepare financial reports and statements for management and board members
· Manage end of year close-out and annual audit (with accountant)
· Assist with budgeting and financial planning
· Oversee payroll company in compliance with local, state, and federal tax requirements (possibly)
· Assist with financials reports for government grants
Skills and Qualifications
o High level of proficiency in QuickBooks and other financial tools is essential.
o Preference given to 5+ years of bookkeeping experience in a nonprofit setting.
o Preference given to experience with government financial grant reports.
o Knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles.
o Open to flexible working hours which are dependent on training, internal deadlines, and annual audit requirements.
o Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
o High level of analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
o Time management and prioritization abilities.
o Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
o Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple staff.
o Must embrace the mission of Clean Ocean Action.
COA is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and staff members without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just to do the right thing, but because it makes the organization stronger.
Hours and Compensation
Position is part time at the office in Long Branch, NJ. Initially, the position will require about 20 hours weekly, and once familiar with COA, the requirement will likely be about 10 weekly hours. Compensation ranges from $20 – $35 per hour and is commensurate with education, experience, qualifications, and other factors.Compensation: $20-$35 per hour
This position is immediately available, and COA is seeking quick fulfillment. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply please carefully follow the directions below and submit the required documents to Office@CleanOceanAction.org with “Bookkeeper_Your Name” in the subject line. The required application instructions below also apply to LinkedIn and all platforms. Please send:
1. Resume or CV
2. Cover letter expressing your interest in working for Clean Ocean Action, why you enjoy this work, and why you are good at it. Please also include why you are considering leaving your current position and/or changing careers, if relevant.
3. One writing sample that is indicative of your capacity to meet the job expectations.
4. Three references from past or present direct supervisors (colleagues or personal friends not acceptable). Include their name, position, affiliation/connection to you, and contact information (phone and email).
5. Expected compensation range.