Website Ironbound Community Corporation
Founded in 1969, ICC’s mission is to engage and empower individuals, families, and groups in realizing their aspirations and, together, work to create a just, vibrant, and sustainable community. ICC strives to address the needs of the diverse, multi-lingual, multi-cultural Ironbound community. The organization serves more than 1,000 children and families every day with a wide range of programs and services. ICC also strengthens communities through advocacy, neighborhood organizing, and community development initiatives.
The Ironbound Community Corporation (ICC) seeks a dynamic individual to lead the Newark based organization’s Human Resources department. The Human Resources Generalist reports to the Chief Financial Officer and works in close collaboration with other members of the administrative and management staff. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who has a demonstrated commitment to progressive practices fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Human Resources Generalist ensures that ICC attracts and retains the talent needed to carry out its mission and strategic goals with excellence and professionalism. The Generalist supports the success of ICC’s employees and provides guidance and support to supervisors and managers at all levels of the organization. She/he is responsible for talent sourcing, hiring, onboarding, training and professional development, and for maintaining a healthy organizational culture reflective of ICC’s values (empathy, mutual respect, fairness and transparency, commitment to excellence, and accountability) and commitment to equity and justice. The Generalist plays a lead role in ensuring the agency complies with workplace regulations, best practices and the ethical treatment of employees. The Human Resources Generalist takes appropriate actions to resolve matters dealing with employee relations, performance and discipline.
· Create a comprehensive staff orientation program to introduce each staff member to the entire organization of which they are becoming a part and familiarize him or her with the structure and activities of the organization, and its culture and values
· Develop support mechanisms and knowledge sharing opportunities to help employees and supervisors at all stages of their career development
· Serve as a resource for all employees for advice and counsel on cultural, organizational, professional growth, and learning issues
· Establish an organization-wide effort to retain good employees by providing consultation, support and innovative interventions to maintain productivity, performance and satisfaction of employees
· Conduct a training needs assessment and create an annual training calendar that gives employees varied opportunities to improve their skills and knowledge base
· Provide excellent service to ICC staff including the timely resolution and response to employee and former employee inquiries
· Join with ICC managers and supervisors to manage employee relation matters including progressive discipline, corrective action, performance improvement and other measures to ensure work expectations are clearly presented, obstacles are removed and satisfactory work performance can be achieved
· Administer all leave requests including FMLA, NJPFL and personal leave
· Take lead in managing ICC’s benefit (medical/dental/vision/Aflac) renewals and open enrollment
· Troubleshoot employee benefit problems
· Manage ICC’s COVID/Vaccine policy
· Coordinate and implement internal investigations of incidents, injuries, complaints, grievances, etc. and make appropriate recommendations to resolve outstanding issues
· Maintain orderly and comprehensive human resources records, including personnel files
· Coordinate ICC employment separations, and respond to employee resignations in a timely, informative and organized fashion
· Play a lead role in workplace and employee safety matters including workers compensation claims, safety self-audits, promoting use of PPE and agency safety policies
· Implement and follow best practice processes and procedures and ensure the processes run smoothly for staff
· Work to further develop processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness and perform other related duties as assigned
JOB SPECIFICATIONS OR QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
· Alignment with, and excitement about, ICC’s mission values
· A bachelor’s degree or higher
· Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a Human Resource Generalist
· Demonstrated experience with recruiting, retaining, and developing talent
· Strong employee relations expertise/experience
· Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of Human Resources
· Excellent interpersonal skills and strong commitment to customer service
· Strong skills in keeping organized shared records and documents that are both usable and comply with confidentiality and privacy
· Ability to analyze information and processes and strong planning and problem solving skills
· Knowledge of federal and New Jersey employment requirements and experience in compliance practice
· Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization
· Commitment to and knowledge of culturally diverse and inclusive practices and policies and ease of working with people of different backgrounds and levels of education
· Demonstrated success at cultivating relationships and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization
· Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others as part of a team
· Experience working in a non-profit environment preferred
· Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred, but not required
· Excellent communications skills – written and verbal
· Results-oriented, a self-starter, innovator
· Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management
· Experience with HRIS and/or Applicant Tracking Systems desirable
ICC is animated by a core group of values, including mutual respect, empathy, fairness and transparency, commitment to excellence, and accountability.
Mutual Respect: We accept the importance of each person’s rights, customs and wishes. We are courteous and supportive in all of our interactions with clients and colleagues.
Empathy: We strive to understand what others are experiencing and feeling by trying to see things from their perspectives. We are willing to give our time and energy to the community and are constantly searching for ways to improve the lives of those we serve.
Fairness and Transparency: We are committed to authentic, two-way communication, willing to listen without judgment and, with respect, express our point of view. We cherish diversity and inclusiveness, embracing the community with its input and feedback.
Commitment to Excellence: We provide the highest quality service possible, earning trust and
exceeding expectations. We continuously learn from experience. We approach challenges with
creativity and flexibility.
Accountability: We are responsible for the quality and outcomes of the programs we provide, for explaining why deviations from reasonable expectations may have occurred, and for responding responsibly at all times, especially when errors in behavior or judgment have happened.
ICC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range and diversity of our community. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our community members, but we also strive for the same in our employees. ICC is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and people from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.
Salary range for this position is $60,000 – $75,000. ICC offers a competitive compensation package including health benefits, generous time off policy, and 403(b) plan.
Compensation: $60,000 - $75,000
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to ffeliciano@Ironboundcc.org with the subject line “Human Resources Generalist.”