Website St. Benedict’s Preparatory School, Newark, NJ
About St. Benedict’s Prep:
St. Benedict’s Preparatory School was founded by Benedictine Monks in 1868 and is one of the oldest and
most successful urban schools in the country. Throughout its 155-year history, the Catholic school has
educated a rich variety of successive immigrant groups and the local community in and around Greater Newark. It now educates nearly 1,000 students, primarily of African-American and Latino heritage, in grades K through 12. Visit www.sbp.org/60Minutes to learn more.
Note: This job is onsite. There is no hybrid or remote option offered.
The Business Office maintains a staff of six and is seeking a new Chief Financial Officer. Reporting to the
Headmaster, and Dean of Administration, the new CFO will serve on the administrative team and work closely with Board members, administrators and members of the Newark Abbey community. The School employs 160 full and part-time faculty and staff, with an operating budget of $20 million and an endowment totaling $37 million. Additionally, s/he will work closely with the Advancement Office, which is charged with raising 60% of the School’s revenue annually.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee all functions of the Business Office with a staff of five, including the Accounting Manager,
Payroll & Benefits Manager, Student Billing Administrator, Accounts Payable Administrator and
Financial Aid Administrator. HR experience is a plus to a candidate.
• Provide strategic leadership, analysis and management of the School’s finances.
• Support the Finance/Investment/Audit/Budget/Risk Committees of the Board of Trustees by setting
meetings, performing background work, material preparation and presentation, executing decisions
and follow up and documenting meeting minutes.
• Oversee treasury management and maintain strong relationships with banks and lending institutions
to ensure adequate funding for the School’s needs and in compliance with all loan covenants.
• Support and execute the School’s endowment management strategy in collaboration with the School’s
Investment Committee and outsourced investment manager.
• Work closely with external auditors and ensure that the annual audits are completed timely.
• Responsible for the School’s insurance coverage, liability, and risk-related policies. Work with
insurance advisors and brokers to ensure that adequate and cost-effective insurance is in place.
• Prepare annual budget and ensure stakeholders receive regular reports and feedback.
• Oversee all employee benefit programs, including health insurance, retirement plans, short and long-
term disability, life insurance, workers’ compensation and other related plans.
• Serve on the Headmaster’s administrative team and participate in several other teams and
• Oversee financial reporting to relevant constituencies including the Headmaster, Board of Trustees
and others as needed.
• Ensure that the various constituencies of the organization, particularly the faculty, staff, and members
of the monastic community, receive empathetic support from the Business Office.
● A BS/BA in accounting with a minimum of 10-15 years of experience in accounting, including
leadership experience, is required. A strong understanding of nonprofit accounting is essential. CPA or equivalent experience preferred.
● Experience at an independent school or non profit organization is preferred.
● Experience managing a team, setting clear responsibilities and expectations, and clear methods of
● Skilled at negotiating contracts with external vendors.
● Consistent demonstration of a strategic and entrepreneurial mindset.
● Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge or similar not-for-profit accounting package is a plus.
● Demonstrated ability to interact with individuals from diverse background with sensitivity and
Employment is contingent upon a successful background check. St. Benedict’s Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
St. Benedict’s Preparatory School provides excellent health, dental and vision benefits. Additionally, the school contributes 5% to a 403(b) plan after one year of employment. School paid Life Insurance, STD and LTD are also included for all full-time employees.
Apply: Candidates should forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com