The Angeletti Group invites nominations and applications for the role of Director of Development (DOD) at Winter4Kids. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, mission-driven, and self-motivated fundraising professional to oversee its development program and increase philanthropic support to generate and diversify a meaningful revenue stream for the organization.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer & President, the Director of Development will be an externally focused development professional with a strong passion for Winter4Kids’ mission. They will be responsible for leading and managing all of Winter4Kids’ development activities. This includes providing strategic leadership to create, execute, and evaluate the year-round fundraising program, supervising the development team, and working collaboratively to achieve fundraising growth.
Founded in 2014, Winter4Kids recently received the NJBIZ Non-profit Business of the Year Award (under 100 Employees). Winter4Kids is focused on providing children with life skills and opportunities for a healthy lifestyle through access to winter activities that they might not otherwise experience like alpine skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, and biathlon.
By repurposing and reengineering the former Hidden Valley ski area in Vernon, New Jersey into the National Winter Activity Center, Winter4Kids has been able to dedicate a campus solely for children and use its facilities, programs, and environment to change and save lives of youth in New Jersey. The Winter4Kids winter sports instructional program provides access and competency while its programs build on that with life skills, healthy meals, and an environment to make sure that every child has positive alternatives to the effects of trauma.
Winter4Kids programs are multiple session and multiple year programs. The typical participant engagement is a minimum of three years in partnership with an advocate organization, usually a school or other youth development agency. Since its founding, Winter4Kids has gone from serving 180 children in its first year to now serving 3,000 children annually. It has served a total of 14,901 children and expects to serve over 10,000 each year by 2027.
Looking to the future, one key objective of Winter4Kids is to serve more kids so that they have more positive choices to develop. A new lodge addition, slated to come online in 2024, will increase capacity and add experiential summer activities consistent with Winter4Kids values and will extend its impact into times when the school environment is not available. It has identified key objectives for future growth and development around facility capacity, operational costs, and programs and anticipates embarking on a capital campaign to support its vision.
About the Director of Development
The Director of Development will be a development professional of proven fundraising experience. They will report to the CEO & President and will be responsible for all Winter4Kids development activities. The selected candidate will work in tandem with leadership to design and implement a comprehensive, goal-based, long and short-term fundraising plan. This will include major gifts, annual gifts, planned giving, endowment, corporate and foundation giving and other events, appeals, and campaigns that will increase revenues and support the Winter4Kids mission. The DOD will have the opportunity to evaluate and build out the development team. Another important component of the position will be to personally cultivate and solicit a portfolio of major gift prospects as well as to engage administrative and volunteer leadership in ways that can add the greatest value. The Director of Development will also be responsible for the strategic direction of a capital campaign slated to launch in the Fall of 2024 coinciding with the 10-year anniversary of Winter4Kids.
Areas of Emphasis for the Director of Development
The Director of Development will provide strategic direction, leadership, and management of all fundraising activities at Winter4Kids as follows:
• Implement, manage, and direct a comprehensive development program including major gifts, direct response/annual fund, special events, planned giving, targeted approaches to private and public funding sources, and appeals for specific needs (such as capital funds, major gifts, endowment funds, corporate and in-kind support).
• Manage and evaluate development staff and hire new staff as needed.
• Initiate and implement fundraising strategies to identify, diversity, cultivate and solicit new and existing donors.
• Develop and manage the cultivation and solicitation of a personal portfolio of prospects.
• Provide leadership on future capital campaigns and the creation of an endowment where applicable.
• Utilize resources including the donor database, wealth screening, staff, publications, and the internet to identify potential major gift prospects.
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the full range of Winter4Kids programs; take actions in the best interest of Winter4Kids with respect to community relations, volunteer efforts, services, gifts, and fundraising from public and private sources.
• Develop methods and materials to educate prospects on Winter4Kids’ compelling and emerging needs.
• Oversee the planning and implementation of fundraising and special events, analyzing the process and results of each event.
• Oversee the maintenance of the database and ensure consistent database usage across the organization.
• Oversee the gift acknowledgment process and stewardship of gifts.
• Support the CEO & President, staff, and volunteer leadership in all fundraising initiatives; attend meetings of the Board of Trustees and other volunteer leadership teams as needed.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the CEO & President.
Qualifications and Preferences
• 5+ years of progressively responsible, successful, and broad ranging experience in fundraising.
• Demonstrated passion for the mission and purpose of Winter4Kids and an ability to communicate this passion to others.
• Comprehensive/capital campaign experience a plus
• Creative, innovative, and able to devise new approaches to philanthropy.
• Ability to think and act independently as well as collaborate with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to thrive and be flexible in a dynamic, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment.
• Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
• High attention to detail with exceptional organizational and project management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate well to colleagues and donors.
• High level of social/emotional intelligence.
• Experience with fundraising databases.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
• 401K retirement plan.
• Paid time off and holidays.
• Employee assistance program for mental health and financial counseling.
Nominations and confidential inquiries can be made to:
The Angeletti Group
At Winter4Kids, you’ll work alongside team members with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skill sets. You’ll discover new ways to forge relationships, find your purpose and fuel your passion every day. Welcoming, Empathy, Embracing and Belonging are not only our key values, but they are also part of everything we do and who we are.